The Older Giant

Home » 15/18mm » Red Dawn 4 – AQMF – Converted Tripods

Red Dawn 4 – AQMF – Converted Tripods

Start here

Here are some of the Tripod conversions I made with what I had. You can see the prevoius post about these models here: LINK

I wanted to use only parts from the plastic sprues if possible.

In the cases of the Dominator model, the only non-kit part I used was a bit of 0.5mm balck plasticard to form a base inside the models head.

Painting: Silver with black ink or gunmetal basecoat followed by some brassy brass in places and green for eyes/lenses. Keeping it simple.

Basing – tried out some “red” plants on the Grenadier model (below)…

The Dominator… concept artwork v. actual model….

dominator tripoddominator tripod actual

My take on the Dominator using the plastics, some Revell plasto and a bit of plasticard…

I converted one right-handed ray gun to be left-handed by cutting off the gun of a spare arm and adding it to the end of a left-handed claw. Nice and simple. I love plastic glue.

The Missile launcher on the head is a cut down Black Dust Launcher.

The head parts were built up from Green Gas “balls” and other bits of plastic with some Revell Plasto smoothed over them to give some texture and fill the gaps.

The extra leg length comes from using the adjustable legs from six tripod leg sprues  (you get one adjustable leg per sprue and you need to use two of these per leg to get the long length).

The longer legs are not the most stable thing but they work as long as you don’t swing the model around.

Basing: the Dominator has some parts from the MkIII Baldwin tank and some bits of cut up sprue to look like it has been destroyed by heat rays (filler was used to give the bulk to the base but has made it a bit heavy).

The Reaper…

A simple conversion – three of the adjustable legs from three Tripod models with the middle part missing to make a short model. Then splice two claw arms together three times over to get long arms.

The Slaver….

Same as the Reaper but with dangling arms and one tentacle…

The Veteran…

Take some thin plasticard and cut it into shield shapes and glue to the sides of the Tripod legs and head.

Then add some spare parts from the Tripod kits to the sides, spray and paint…

The Grenadier…

Is the first one I did – just glued two Green Gas “hoppers” to the arms for the Black Dust Launcher and added the “gas canister” part of the BD Launcher to the back to make them look like propellant tanks. Very straightforward. I don’t like the “throwing” idea for green gas. More ink is needed to define the body panels! My friend Dean suggested a pin wash. Possibly….

I now need to wait for some more Tripods so I can make Scouts, Harvester, Gatherer and Scientist Tripods.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: